SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Accuray Incorporated (NASDAQ: ARAY) announced today that the first studies validating the benefits of the leading-edge Radixact™ System were presented at the 59th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) held in Denver, Colorado, July 30 through August 3, 2017. This smart radiation therapy system represents the next generation in TomoTherapy® treatment delivery, significantly increasing treatment speed and ease of use. The Radixact System enables clinicians to treat a wide range of cancer cases, from initial plan delivery to adaptive therapy to complex retreatments, with precision and increased efficiency.
Research highlights include:
Faster planning and reduced treatment time
- A study evaluated the performance of the Radixact System based on a comparison of treatment plans developed for this system and the TomoHDA™ System. Treatment plans were created using the VoLO™ Planning Solution for the TomoHDA technology, then recreated using the Accuray Precision™ Treatment Planning System (TPS) for the Radixact System. Developing optimal plans using the Accuray Precision TPS was much faster, and the treatment beam-on time was reduced by up to 50% while maintaining the excellent plan quality. Researchers at the Miami Cancer Institute in Miami, Florida and Accuray Incorporated conducted the research.
Proven image quality and stability
- The first clinical assessment of Radixact low-dose fan beam MVCT image guidance found there was no statistically significant difference in the noise, uniformity, and Hounsfield units (HU) stability over the three-month evaluation period, demonstrating the strength of the System's MVCT image quality and its potential value for dose calculation. Clinicians at the Miami Cancer Institute team conducted the research.
- Radixact and TomoTherapy System dosimetric beam characteristics were compared over a six-month period. Radixact data were within the specifications established for the TomoTherapy System and showed a good agreement with the beam model. These results indicate that the beam commissioning process will be straightforward for the Radixact System. Researchers at Miami Cancer Institute and Accuray conducted the study.
The future of radiation therapy
- Two studies demonstrated the feasibility of real-time motion management leveraging the TomoTherapy System's one-of-a-kind helical delivery capabilities.
- Accuray researchers investigated the potential for adapting the CyberKnife® System's unique Synchrony® Respiratory Tracking System to an experimental TomoTherapy System. The study showed Synchrony-like real-time respiratory motion management is technically feasible using TomoTherapy technology, enabling a high level of accuracy when delivering dose to tumors that move with respiration.
- The dosimetric impact of using real-time primary jaw/multileaf collimator (MLC) compensation approaches to mitigate motion during TomoHelical™ delivery was analyzed by a team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and Accuray. Dose was calculated for treatment plans assuming 1) no motion, 2) respiratory motion, and 3) respiratory motion compensated by adjusting the jaw and MLC position during delivery. The team found that a jaw and MLC compensation approach mitigated the large difference between planned and delivered dose caused by motion, thus enabling reductions in margin.
"The data presented at this year's AAPM speak to the precision, accuracy and effectiveness of Accuray's entire portfolio of radiation therapy systems," said Calvin Maurer, Ph.D., Vice President and Chief Technology Officer at Accuray. "The Radixact™ System findings reinforce what customers are experiencing in their day-to-day practice and demonstrate its value to the radiation oncology team and their patients. In partnership with our customers we are continuing to develop clinically relevant technological advances such as the Radixact System, PreciseART™ Adaptive Solution and PreciseRTX™ Retreatment Option, which make it easier for clinicians to provide patients with the best possible treatment for them at each stage of their cancer treatment journey."
Accuray Incorporated (Nasdaq: ARAY) is a radiation oncology company that develops, manufactures and sells precise, innovative treatment solutions that set the standard of care with the aim of helping patients live longer, better lives. The company's leading-edge technologies deliver the full range of radiation therapy and radiosurgery treatments. For more information, please visit www.accuray.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
Statements made in this press release that are not statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements and are subject to the "safe harbor" provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements in this press release relate, but are not limited, to clinical applications, clinical results, patient outcomes, future developments of our technologies and Accuray's leadership position in radiation oncology innovation and technologies. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations, including but not limited to the risks detailed from time to time under the heading "Risk Factors" in the company's report on Form 10-K, filed on August 28, 2015, the company's reports on Form 10-Q, filed on November 5, 2015 and February 1, 2016 and April 29, 2016, and the company's other filings with the SEC.
Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date the statements are made and are based on information available to the company at the time those statements are made and/or management's good faith belief as of that time with respect to future events. The company assumes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect actual performance or results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors affecting forward-looking information, except to the extent required by applicable securities laws. Accordingly, investors should not put undue reliance on any forward-looking statements.
Public Relations Director, Accuray
+1 (408) 789-4426
+1 (781) 684-6680
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-radixact-system-research-results-presented-at-the-american-association-of-physicists-in-medicine-annual-meeting-300499665.html
SOURCE Accuray Incorporated